Are you ready for spring? This mug rug will cheer you up – make sure you use bright fabrics! The shape of the mug rug fits your coffee cup and a cookie on each side flower. So much fun you will be making many mug rugs! I was able to use 1 charm square for both side flowers, and another charm square for the center flower! Dig out your charm squares and make a gorgeous flower!
See you on Saturday, May 16, 2020 for the best embroidery family sew along out there!
SUPPLIES: 5X7 HOOP
WSS (water-soluble stabilizer)
batting and background fabric and back fabric to fit the hoop
side flowers 3×3
Middle flower 4×4
Here is the video that will help you put it all together, step by step.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SATIN FINISHED MUG RUGS:
- hoop WSS
- stitch placement line
- place batting down
- stitch batting down. trim now or after the back is on
- add background fabric, face up.
- stitch it down, trim now or after the back goes on.
- The flower appliques will start with a placement stitch
- Put your fabric down
- stitch the tack down running stitch
- trim close to the line
- zig zag stitch will stitch
- DO STEPS 7-11 FOR EACH APPLIQUE ENDING WITH THE CIRCLE APPLIQUE IN THE CENTER OF THE LARGER FLOWER.
- Once you have finished all of the appliques (including satin stitches) then there will be a color change with an outline stitch.
- your machine will stop for this color change, and it will be an outline of the shape of the design. before this step stitches, take your back fabric face down and put it on the back of the hoop. tape if you need to.
- stitch the tack down for the backing.
- take the hoop off the machine and carefully trim the back fabric, and batting and fabric if you didn’t do it earlier.
- change your bobbin to match the top thread and stitch the satin stitches and decorative stitches. Done!