I LOVE YOU GEOMETRIC MUG RUG is for a 5×7 hoop, with a little bit of sewing to close.
Read and scroll down for supplies.
ARE YOU READY FOR A CHALLENGE? This in the hoop mug rug is easy to stitch out, but the challenge is in the trimming of each applique piece! there are no finishing satin stitches, so careful trimming is a must! Take your time, trim as close as you can to the stitch line so that the blanket stitches look fantastic. PRO TIP: if you iron on some fusible backing to your applique fabric, you will be able to make cleaner cuts with no fraying of the fabric.
batting to fit the hoop
Large square: 4×4
Smaller squares (x2) 2.5 x 2.5
Heart: 3.5 x 3.5
8×7 fabric (x2) folded in half for the back
- Stitch placement line
- place batting down.
- stitch batting tack down stitch
- place fabric down
- stitch fabric tack down stitch
- Placement stitch for first applique
- place applique fabric over the placement line
- stitch tackdown stitch
- TRIM CAREFULLY
- continue with each applique until they are all completed.
- BEFORE THE LAST STEP, take your folded fabric and place the first one down, fold towards the middle of the design. Next place the second piece overlapping the first one, fold toward the center.
- stitch the last step which secures down the folded fabric.
- trim around the outside of the design, clipping the corners.
- turn the mug rug inside out. DONE!