HOT AIR BALLOON IN THE HOOP MUG RUG is for a 5×7 hoop. Read and scroll down for supplies.
This is a shaped mug rug finished in satin stitches.
This machine embroidery design was requested on one of our OML Live videos on youtube! This design was so much fun to create, and I think the design turned out awesome!
PRO TIP: fussy cut your balloon fabric so it shows through the design, like a decorated hot air balloon:
Let your embroidery creativity flow with this project! You could make a hot air balloon for any occasion or holiday – how about a Halloween themed or Easter themed hot air balloon? Go through your fabric and find that one set that you have been waiting to fussy cut – this one is perfect for that!!
batting to fit the hoop
background fabric to fit the hoop x2 (one for the back)
5×5 fabric for the circle.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SATIN FINISHED MUG RUGS:
- hoop WSS
- stitch placement line
- place batting down
- stitch batting down. trim now or after the back is on
- add background fabric, face up.
- stitch it down, trim now or after the back goes on.
- stitch applique: placement, place the fabric down, tack down, trim and final stitches
- stitch any detail work.
- your machine will stop for this color change, and it will be an outline of the shape of the design. before this step stitches, take your back fabric face down and put it on the back of the hoop. tape if you need to.
- stitch the tack down for the backing.
- take the hoop off the machine and carefully trim the back fabric, and batting and fabric if you didn’t do it earlier.
- change your bobbin to match the top thread and stitch the satin stitches and decorative stitches. Done!